Monday, September 12, 2011

Another sick day

Well, Max officially went back to school today, but Mommy had to take another sick day to take Rush to the allergist. Actually, this appointment, and some others, were already made months ago, but Max got sick in the middle of all my other plans, so this is my FIFTH day in a row out of school! It's been really hard to be away, and I've felt bad that in the middle of my children not feeling well, I've had school on my mind constantly. I think about my family when I'm at school, and my students when I'm at home! I guess that's the life of most teachers!
So today's plan was to go to the allergist and hopefully get some more definitive tests, or at least more definitive than the tests 6 months ago. That's when we learned that Rush was severely allergic to eggs (He even has an epi-pen! Scary, right?!) possibly milk and peanuts, probably not fish or soy. I cut all eggs out of my diet thinking it would help, and it didn't. He's also been a regular at the dermatologist and has been on and off of steroids and antibiotics for months. He still manages to stay happy! He just looks torn up most of the time!
Here we are a Children's Hospital after our allergist appointment. They sent us here for labs. I'm always amazed when we visit Children's. It's truly a well-oiled machine. The people are always so friendly and helpful and patient. I am also always overwhelmed with feelings off sadness for all of the children there who are suffering, and for the families who are exhausted and tired of being there all the time. I teared up walking back to the car with Rush, just thanking God that my baby only has eczema and food allergies- that our only prescriptions today were for steroids, antihistamines, and bleach baths. That he only had one stick of a needle today, and probably only the fourth or fifth one in his life! And that I was strolling my baby in the beautiful sunshine, to go back to our house, after only being in that hospital for a short time.
You can see he didn't mind the wait one bit! He was watching and talking with everyone who walked by as we were checking in!
Here he is back at home. See his little bandage? He didn't even flinch when he got poked. For a moment I thought I may have a repeat of Max's last doctor's visit, but it was a breeze!
At this point, he REALLY started trying to rip it off, and I could just see it going straight to his mouth, so I replaced it with one that was a wee bit stickier!

Thank you God for protecting my family from illness. I have faith that You will take care of us no matter what this world brings. I lift up all of those families that are suffering today because of a child who is sick. You are the Great Physician and I trust that You will heal Rush. I pray that you would send us to doctors who will lead us to answers and treatment for our baby. And if we don't receive the answers we seek, I pray that you will guide us in our next step. Our trust is only in You, Lord. Only in You.

No comments:

Post a Comment