Sunday, August 7, 2011

Little Reader

As a teacher, I always thought that when I had children I would really push them to be advanced academically. We would read every night, sing songs, practice all those fine and gross motor skills that would propel them to the head of the class...but after having Max, I realized I was a pretty laid back parent as far as "learning" was concerned! We read, when he wants to and what he wants to read. He practices writing and coloring and drawing, when he wants to. I have been amazed at what my three year old can already do, and I believe it's because he's in control of his learning! So, get ready for my soap box! By no means do I believe that a child should choose what to learn or when to learn, or should make a choice to go to school, or not! However, as adults, do we not tend to have occupations or hobbies that lean toward our strengths? WHY do we try to force our children into a box of learning what WE think they need to know?I have seen so many students get discouraged over the years because they don't fit the mold of the traditional education model, you know, open your book, read, answer the questions at the end of the chapter...I also don't believe that school has to be a constant dog-and-pony show where we try to keep students' attention all day long with song and dance routines for every lesson. What I am suggesting is this: if you allow a child to, they will show and grow in a way that is meaningful to THEM. I find Max reading by himself in his room because it's a book he chose, a time he chooses...and it still shocks me how many times I find him doing this-on his own! I believe in giving children many opportunities, in a variety of ways, to show, and grow, their knowledge. So, encourage your children this school year. Stay on top of their homework and school assignments, but don't forget that school is their "job". They are there all day long, just as you are at your job. Don't make them come home every night and do meaningless practice worksheets, do YOU like working after hours and not getting paid overtime? Plan meaningful activities for your family and they will surprise you with how much they learn!


MOM! I'm READING!!

1 comment:

  1. It' so much fun to see them pick what they want to read and then actually hear them read it aloud. Everyday at our house IS an activity with all sorts of learning! I mean how can it NOT be, there are 4 that come home wired!

    ReplyDelete